Linksys Router

91.3% uncensored free-for-all (see, no false advertising here)
Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Linksys Router

Post by Taxious » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:02 pm

I currently have comcast cable internet and a linksys wireless router. About once a day, the router just stops sending out signal and we have to power cycle it. It's really not that big of a deal, it's just kind of annoying that we have to do it.

I've talked to comcast and of course they say it is the router. We have tried 3 different routers and they all do the same thing. When I talk to linksys customer support, they say that it is comcasts fault that when they renew our IP address via DHCP, it cuts the signal out.

I called comcast again and asked if there was a way to get a static IP address, and they told us no, even though we have had the same IP address for 3 months + now. I understand that DHCP just refreshes the IP addresses but why would it be cutting signal from the router?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I would fix this?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian

Post by Ddrak » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:36 pm

Do you have the latest Linksys firmware?

I've never really worked with Linksys, but I've had other wireless routers do the same thing just acting as access points (not connecting to the internet). I doubt it's DHCP - the refresh to the same IP address shouldn't interrupt communications unless there's something seriously wrong with the Linksys firmware. Honestly, no idea.

Dd

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:51 pm

I had a router that was the same model as the one I had now, but with the firmware update that had the same problem as well as a couple other problems. Linksys actually told me it wasn't a good idea to update firmware... WTF?

I have tried different brands of routers also, didn't fix it.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Syeni Soulslasher MK6
Master ad V1t4m

Post by Syeni Soulslasher MK6 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:06 pm

How long of a DHCP lease does comcast issue, most places issue a 8 day lease and your router would only try to renew it after 4 days. And should renew with the same IP (why yours didn't change ever befor (I've had the same IP for almost 2 years now for this reasion)) Unfortanatly I do not know how to find the lease lenght from the router so you would have to hook up your computer directly to the cable and release and renew and look at the ipconfig for lease expires date.

So you can rule out its when the IP renews if your lease is longer then 2 days.
When you power cycle the router are you geting the same IP or a new one.... If its a new one is it a difrent subnet?

I would say its either an issue with comcast or more likly the cable modem...

Tholiak Eladamri
Knight of the East & West

Post by Tholiak Eladamri » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:40 pm

Ok this is a problem coming up alot recently, Cox Cable, Roadrunner..and now Comcast. Let me tell you this, THE PROBLEM ISNT YOU. The problem is in the TX signal. Let me guess

Youll be browsing the web, and all of the sudden everything will stop and youll lose connection eventually? Unplugging the modem doesnt work, you just have to wait aye?

It took cox cable 2 weeks to fix my problem, mainly because they kept saying there isnt a problem. It took them a week to even send a dude to look at the lines, and they finally fixed it when they were doing a stability check from my house when it dropped, and the words from the guys mouth when it happened "DAMN!

I guarantee you if you ask around your neighborhood or business near you, they are having the same problem.

Cox cable kept saying it was my Computer or Router, they also said the same thing to the other 10 people in my neighborhood who had the problem.

Tholiak Eladamri
Knight of the East & West

Post by Tholiak Eladamri » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:42 pm

and in case your wondering, TX signal is your upstream signal.

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:40 pm

So you think it would be safe to have them send out a technician? I am scared whenever they offer this because they say they will charge us like 65$ if it's our fault. I fucking hate comcast, I really need to look to switch to DSL.

Faster upload speeds with DSL anyway, they don't limit it. Plus it's cheaper... /shrug

Kulaf
Soverign Grand Postmaster General

Post by Kulaf » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:48 am

Yeah but what DL speed are you getting with Comcast? 5mbit? That's hard to beat and you will not find anything in conventional DSL.

Now there are some new technologies rolling out. If you live in a large market you might be able to get them. FIOS from Verizon is a 5-15Mbit download with a 2Mbit upload. If it is available in your area latch on. SBC DSL Pro is also a good alternative if available, but FIOS is where it's at.

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/ch ... orHome.asp

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian

Post by Ddrak » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:53 am

If you have a motorola cable modem, you can go to http://192.168.100.1 and get a reading of your signal strengths.

Dd

Embar Angylwrath
President: Rsak Fan Club

Post by Embar Angylwrath » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:52 am

Try the easy solution first.. go buy a signal amplifier for your cable feed.
Correction Mr. President, I DID build this, and please give Lurker a hug, we wouldn't want to damage his self-esteem.

Embar
Alarius

SicTimMitchell
E Pluribus Sputum

Post by SicTimMitchell » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:03 am

I am experiencing the exact same thing with RR and a D-Link wireless router.

At first, I was of course baffled because we'd have 54m/excellent network connections, but no Internet.

Cycling the cable modem did bubkus, and it took us a bit to figure out to cycle the router instead. (Like you described, we sometimes slowly lose network connectivity, too.)

Unfortunately, Time Warner doesn't support routers at all.

BTW, we just switched from over seven years of DSL to cable. Cable really is better now. (And DSL limits your upstream, too.)

The hassles of setting up cable are nothing compared to the hassles of setting up DSL.
Bangzoom
94 Ranger of Karana
Veteran Crew, through and through

Partha
Reading is fundamental!!!1!!

Re:

Post by Partha » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:53 am

The main reason I still use DSL is because my company has done fantastic work for me and I've never ONCE lost my DSL, which is not the occurence with my brother's cable.

Hell, we had a little storm over here a couple of years ago (http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/newsletter/winter03/.
July 5 – A well-organized, long-lived line of thunderstorms, known as a derecho, moved from Iowa through northern Illinois in the early morning hours. The storms hit Rockford around 415 to 430 AM with wind gusts to 100 mph. Hundreds of trees were blown down and 80,000 customers lost power. A 731 foot television tower was toppled by the wind. The same squall line hit the southwest side of Chicago around 530 AM knocking down large trees, damaging buildings, and knocking over stackable containers at a railroad yard. This was the first in a series of severe thunderstorm events that affected northern Illinois and northwest Indiana through the rest of July and into early August. It was the stormiest summer in years.
It blew the phone box off my house.

I never lost my DSL or my phone. Cable? Was gone for 12 days at my brother's.

So I'll stick with these guys for now.