Suicide

Some of us think far more than we should
Turaylon Soulshadow
Finder of lost things
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:26 pm
Location: Watertown, CT
Contact:

Re: Suicide

Post by Turaylon Soulshadow » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:11 am

Some people are just born totally fucked up. It does get pretty goddam ridiculous, especially around ren faire/larp people, when 80% of them claim to have some sort of mental problem, but the only time they do anything that remotely resembles the symptoms of something as mild as merely being depressed is while drunk. So I completely understand where you were coming from with that statement. Apparently the trend for the new millenium is 'It's cool to be crazy'. You can't even trust most of the new prescriptions that are being made becuase somene is just trying to cash in on all these idiots and mass marketing plecebos.
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my ass.

User avatar
Alluveal
vagina boob
Posts: 3982
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:11 pm
Location: COLORADO

Re: Suicide

Post by Alluveal » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:20 am

Harlowe wrote:
Alluveal wrote:Unless someone is in physical pain (and has a terminal illness and will die in a lengthy and horrifically painful manner,) then I think suicide is for fucking pussies if they're only excuse is, "life sucks."
I feel the same, though I'd add in "mental illness".

For me the absolute worst are people that "threaten" others with suicide. They are manipulative pieces of shit. I have zero pity for anyone that plays that card in order to manipulate others or get attention. I'm sorry if people do not give you enough attention or broke up with you or whatever fucked up reason you have for threatening something like that, but go ahead - just remember down the road, not across the street.

This

Klast Brell
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat
Posts: 4315
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:17 am
Location: Minneapolis MN
Contact:

Re: Suicide

Post by Klast Brell » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:49 am

Minute wrote:Yeah, I know there isn't a blanket statement. But I also know that you could trace anything back far enough and you'll find a 'reason' for a hardship. Abused as a child, not enough attention, mommy didn't have enough iron in her breast milk. Psychological, chemical, or otherwise. And all of that is perfectly valid, but that doesn't mean that it isn't still a hardship. Life is full of them, and everyone has them. As with all hardships in life the willingness of the mind to suck it up, face them, and do what has to be done is still necessary.
You act as if all men are created equal. Serotonin, Norepinephrine and Dopamine levels are biologically regulated. Some are born with a defective insulin regulation system. You don't tell Type I diabetics to suck it up. Intelligence varies based on your genetics. The environment you are raised in affects your intelligence level as an adult, but the best circumstances can't change it more than a small percentage. Will power and ability to tolerate suffering are also functions of biology and environment. How you were raised has an impact on your ability to "suck it up" But it can only raise it so much. For some people it's not enough.

That's a long winded way of saying that I believe some people are born without enough ability to suck it up and will never be able to improve that ability to the point where they can tolerate profound chronic suffering.
"A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not." - Ronald Reagan 1987

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator
Posts: 3015
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:35 pm

Re: Suicide

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:55 am

Klast Brell wrote:That's a long winded way of saying that I believe some people are born without enough ability to suck it up and will never be able to improve that ability to the point where they can tolerate profound chronic suffering.
I agree 100% in practice. But at least on paper, people have infinite capacity to suck it up. Some people can just resolve to suck it up, and boom, it just happens. But some people try and try and they just can't find that capacity within them. It's there, they just can't see it. But it is there, again, at least theoretically.

And the imminently suicidal person kinda scares me because that lack of respect for life could easily spill over into my life, and I like my life TYVM. It almost did. My wife was on a mountain road with a 3000 foot dropoff and a car literally came out of the sky and landed right in front of her. Turns out this guy was suicidal and tried to run his car off the cliff. His passenger had a different idea and grabbed the wheel, and the car hit a rock and launched into the air and flew over my wife's car. With a one second difference my wife and kids are gone all because someone didn't value his own life.

User avatar
Taxious
Rum Guzzler
Posts: 5054
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:16 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Suicide

Post by Taxious » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:15 pm

Freecare Spiritwise wrote:And the imminently suicidal person kinda scares me because that lack of respect for life could easily spill over into my life, and I like my life TYVM. It almost did. My wife was on a mountain road with a 3000 foot dropoff and a car literally came out of the sky and landed right in front of her. Turns out this guy was suicidal and tried to run his car off the cliff. His passenger had a different idea and grabbed the wheel, and the car hit a rock and launched into the air and flew over my wife's car. With a one second difference my wife and kids are gone all because someone didn't value his own life.
Suicide is one thing, but taking other people with you like that really :evil: 'es me off. If you do want to kill yourself, please don't involve me in it. Don't shoot me at school before shooting yourself, don't run your car into mine, don't manipulate me with your life, etc...
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Turaylon Soulshadow
Finder of lost things
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:26 pm
Location: Watertown, CT
Contact:

Re: Suicide

Post by Turaylon Soulshadow » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Taxious wrote:
Freecare Spiritwise wrote:And the imminently suicidal person kinda scares me because that lack of respect for life could easily spill over into my life, and I like my life TYVM. It almost did. My wife was on a mountain road with a 3000 foot dropoff and a car literally came out of the sky and landed right in front of her. Turns out this guy was suicidal and tried to run his car off the cliff. His passenger had a different idea and grabbed the wheel, and the car hit a rock and launched into the air and flew over my wife's car. With a one second difference my wife and kids are gone all because someone didn't value his own life.
Suicide is one thing, but taking other people with you like that really :evil: 'es me off. If you do want to kill yourself, please don't involve me in it. Don't shoot me at school before shooting yourself, don't run your car into mine, don't manipulate me with your life, etc...
I'm gonna get a job in Colorado as a cable guy, turn off Jasper's intrawebs foreversies, then kill myself.
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my ass.

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator
Posts: 3015
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:35 pm

Re: Suicide

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Taxious wrote:Suicide is one thing, but taking other people with you like that really :evil: 'es me off. If you do want to kill yourself, please don't involve me in it. Don't shoot me at school before shooting yourself, don't run your car into mine, don't manipulate me with your life, etc...
Yeah, agreed, I'm all for freedom of choice for anything someone wants to do with their body. They make their choice and live with it (or not). It's all on them, and who the hell am I to judge those choices. But don't involve me in your bad choices. I won't be a willing party, and sure as hell don't want to be an unwilling one.

Now if someone wants to make good choices, I'll be a willing party to that. If I can be there for someone I care about, then I'm there dude. When everything goes to shit it's the people around me I lean on and vise versa.

User avatar
Taxious
Rum Guzzler
Posts: 5054
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:16 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Suicide

Post by Taxious » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:25 pm

Freecare Spiritwise wrote:They make their choice and live with it (or not).
rofl
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

User avatar
Taxious
Rum Guzzler
Posts: 5054
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:16 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Suicide

Post by Taxious » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:27 pm

Another issue with suicide that I've always been curious about is "preventable death." Would you guys consider someone that was just diagnosed with emphysema, yet is still chain smoking, suicidal? If they die from emphysema, will they have committed suicide?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Ariannda Kusanagi
WTB New Title
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:36 pm
Location: STL

Re: Suicide

Post by Ariannda Kusanagi » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Yes and at the same time no. Thats personal definition of suicide. What of the the non smoker who was diagnosed with a debilitating, denegerative, incurable disease that specifically decided to start drinking, smoking and doing drugs ?

I think it's a specific act of ending your life at a predefined time, where as natural death even from such ideas as you're talking about didn't have a specified time.
Ariannda, in every game its Ariannda !
Babymage !©
Arch Magus of 70 long ass seasons - RETIRED
Battle tag Ariannda #1491


We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Klast Brell
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat
Posts: 4315
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:17 am
Location: Minneapolis MN
Contact:

Re: Suicide

Post by Klast Brell » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 am

I knew an alcoholic who had been sober for 15 years. But the damage was done. His liver started failing and the doctors gave him 2 years to live. He said fuck it and went back to the bottle. He was dead in 6 months.

Given my attitude about it I don't blame him. I would have done the same. I do believe it's a form of suicide. It's a conscious decision to shorten your life. But if I could trade 18 months of my life to spend half a year anesthetized to my troubles instead of 2 years wallowing in misery staring death in the face? You bet I would do it.
"A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not." - Ronald Reagan 1987

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator
Posts: 3015
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:35 pm

Re: Suicide

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 am

I look at it more as quality of life than quantity of life. The "best life" isn't always the longest life IMO.

Post Reply