Ender's Game Trailer

Movies, Albums, Games, whatever. Tell us what you thought!
Alluveal
vagina boob

Ender's Game Trailer

Post by Alluveal » Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Let the homophobe comments begin.

Unless you're like me and are willing to overlook Card's general political/philosophical shittiness and watch the fuck out of this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... P0cUBi4hwE#!

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Re: Ender's Game Trailer

Post by Harlowe » Tue May 07, 2013 8:29 pm

I'll see the movie and I've read all his books, but I feel completely dirty doing it. I can't stand him, he is a many layered onion of intolerant asshole (getting worse as he gets older), so he's one author that I truly wish I knew nothing about, because the Ender series was really good.

Some highlights....
1990: Card argued that states should keep sodomy laws on the books in order to punish unruly gays–presumably implying that the fear of breaking the law ought to keep most gay men in the closet where they belonged.

2004: He claimed that most homosexuals are the self-loathing victims of child abuse, who became gay “through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse.”

2008: In 2008, Card published his most controversial anti-gay screed yet, in the Mormon Times, where he argued that gay marriage “marks the end of democracy in America,” that homosexuality was a “tragic genetic mixup,” and that allowing courts to redefine marriage was a slippery slope towards total homosexual political rule and the classifying of anyone who disagreed as “mentally ill:”

2009: He joined the board for anti-gay lobby The National Organization for Marriage, which was created to pass California’s notorious Proposition 8, banning gay marriage.

2012: He supported his home state North Carolina’s constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage by arguing that gay marriage “will be the bludgeon [The Left] use to make sure that it becomes illegal to teach traditional values in the schools.”

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Same here, Harlowe.

It's dirty and I'm a bit of a hypocrite here. But, it's also one of my favorite sci-fi books out there. So, there you have it.

As for your timeline there, wow on 2008. Holy fuck. I truly think he's gone off the deep end, not just from his political stances, but the way he's handled the adaptations and possible adaptations. At one point, he wanted to basically scrap Ender as a main character and do the whole movie from Bean's perspective (I imagine, taking from Ender's Shadow instead). This has obviously changed.

And the fact that he was fucking all over hiring that shitty little actor from Phantom Menace to play Ender (back in the 90s). Yes, you heard me. He wanted young Anakin to be Ender. I think that last bit pretty much makes him a legitimate crazy person.

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian

Post by Ddrak » Wed May 08, 2013 2:47 am

I was always slightly bothered by the term "buggers" in the books for the enemy...

Dd

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Wed May 08, 2013 7:54 am

Dd, yeah, it seems really like . . . 1960s or, I don't know. I wonder if they'll change it for the movie. I didn't hear mention of "buggers" in the trailer, just heard them referred to as "the enemy."

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Wed May 08, 2013 9:42 am

That guy cares more about gay marriage than I do, what a bag of dicks.. Let's give it a few more years and see if another "I hate gays, but love sucking dick" scandal emerges. Maybe he will time it well so that he gets some free publicity right before the movie is released.

I never read the book(s) but I love sci fi so I'll probably be seeing this despite the opinions of the author.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Wed May 08, 2013 9:58 am

I feel fortunate to have read the books prior to knowing what a complete piece of shit he is, so I was able to just enjoy them without a bad taste in my mouth. I think Speaker for the Dead (book 2) was even better than Ender's Game imo.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Wed May 08, 2013 10:00 am

I never read Speaker of the Dead. I should get on that. And yeah, I read his stuff before I learned he was a raging asshat. He wrote one of the coolest short stories ever, Unaccompanied Sonata, that stuck with me for a long-ass time.

Talazar Shadowhawk
Bug Squasher

Post by Talazar Shadowhawk » Fri May 10, 2013 6:40 pm

I always thought that the Ender series wussied out at the end. Have you read any of his newer stuff?