Hemlock Grove

Movies, Albums, Games, whatever. Tell us what you thought!
Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Hemlock Grove

Post by Harlowe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:10 am

Is anyone watching this and does this get any better? Because the first two episodes were BEYOND lame. Famke Jannsen (who I usually enjoy other than her Nip Tuck appearances), is embarrassingly bad. Her accent is horrible and so inconsistent, that it feels more like a model tossed into theater with no acting experience. Bill Skarsgård (the son) is HORRIBLE too.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Re: Hemlock Grove

Post by Alluveal » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:25 am

lol, I was waiting for you or someone else to watch it and tell me. I'm hearing bad things. Hmmm....... What to do, what to do...

Bastards Last Stand
Prov0st and Judge

Post by Bastards Last Stand » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:50 am

I've made it through episode four and I'm still wondering the same thing. I've heard/read a number of times that episode five is where it supposedly starts to get more interesting, I just don't know if I care enough to bother.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 am

I don't know if I can make it three more episodes for things to get better....the acting just feels THAT bad. It feels too much like they are trying too hard to be Twin Peaks weird, but turned into a bad drag show of a caricature.

Maybe if I'm super bored some night, but I'm catching up on Arrow right now (I like it) and Alluveal gave me another one to watch, so wincing through this one feels more like work.

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Post by Minute » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:39 pm

You don't like the acting so you're watching Arrow??? LOL

I haven't tried this one yet, but I said it from the trailer, didn't just blow me away. Will probably give it a shot soon. Doesn't sound like I'm going to be impressed.
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Quiet you! Arrow is awesome. You don't watch the CW for acting, chachi.

You watch for hot men.

With abs.

And you think, "Hey, I'd like to have the Salvatore brothers, the Winchester brothers and Ollie Queen come rub my feet for me. Naked."

If you can't find hot chicks that make you forego all show flaws, not my issue, bro!

:twisted:

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:52 am

I have a lower bar for hot, comic-book characters. Though, the acting IS better on Arrow than Hemlock Grove even with that caveat.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:26 am

If Famke Jansen can't even save it with HER hotness, then it sounds like a turkey to me.

Bastards Last Stand
Prov0st and Judge

Post by Bastards Last Stand » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:47 pm

I realized last night that I had actually sat through six episodes, not the four that I originally had thought. With that in mind, I call Bullshit on the fifth episode turning point I heard about. While the show does slightly get more interesting, it's not enough so that I could ever recommend it to someone I liked.

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Post by Minute » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:57 pm

I've made it through 3 episodes so far... shit is all over the place. This girl walks up to a girl who is eaten in half with maggots crawling over her, and we're expected to believe that she thinks that it might be a trick? And not the smell of death or anything would change her mind until she leaned down and kissed the dead bitch? COME ON MAN! This is fucking dumb.

Also, yeah the acting is pretty horrible too. Damn it Netflix, I had such high hopes for you. Should have stuck with winning combos like David Fincher & Kevin Spacey.
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:17 am

That girl (the "I want to be a writer" one) has become insufferable. I don't know why we even watch this other than to see what the hell is going on. What is up with Franken-fish-eye-girl and the mom with her eye drops.

Bastards Last Stand
Prov0st and Judge

Post by Bastards Last Stand » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:26 pm

I ended up watching the whole series, if for no other reason than "Fuck, I've gone this far, might as well go the rest of the way . . ." feelings, and it remains pretty disappointing overall. It's disappointing in that the premise is actually a fairly interesting one and could have really been fun if done well. It's a nice little homage to classic monster folklore/mythos, but the writing, acting, and totally unlikeable characters hold it back.

The show never exactly explains everything completely, but it gives enough hints here and there to sort of piece together what's going on to an extent. My take on it without getting too specific just in case you really want to continue watching:
Hidden Information!
The mother (Olivia) is a vampire/upir and appears to be a couple hundred years old. The show eventually fleshes out a fairly interesting back story for her and her weird devotion to Roman, but I won't spoil that unless you want me to. Unless I missed it, there's no real explanation for the eye drops, I just assumed they possibly temper her vampiric urges/hunger in some way.

Dr. Pryce at the Godfrey institute is essentially Dr. Frankenstein, dabbling in creating human life. Shelley, then, is Frankenstein's monster (complete with Mary Shelley reference in the name) and is one of his earliest experiments. She's the child of JR Godfrey and Olivia, died as a young child (under not-so-innocent circumstances), and JR begged Pryce to bring her back to life, which he did. There's a part in one of the episodes where Pryce sort of explains how he creates life/reanimates people, so I assume Shelley's appearance and other issues are the result of the reanimation/side effects of the reanimation and the fact that Pryce was still in the early stages of his experimentation at the time.

While Christina (the "writer") plays a more interesting role later in the series, she still remains insufferable.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Entertainment Weekly gave it a B+. Pretty much everyone here (whose opinions I value) have said it sucks. So, wtf, EW?

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Wed May 01, 2013 7:15 am

I think you should watch it and judge for yourself - maybe you'll like it? It's weird enough I keep watching it, but not interesting enough for me to get through yet. I still haven't watched the finale.

I still stand by my "Famke does British like Anne Hathaway in One Day" assessment though. =)

Massterloo
Intimate Sexretary

Post by Massterloo » Wed May 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Entertainment Weekly reviews like in many mags is bought and paid for. Ever look at the Rolling Stone top anything lists?
Mastrloo
70 Iksar Monk
7 years later.
The hills are still triangles.
And the trees are still blocks.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Thu May 02, 2013 7:22 am

Well made it through. It got a little more interesting the last episode or two, the very last scene was intriguing anyway.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Thu May 02, 2013 9:42 am

Hmm, now I want to go watch it. My cousin (who has very similar tastes as me) said it's very "surreal" in a sense, and doesn't answer a lot of posed questions, kind of like a poor man's version of American Horror Story, but "not as good." (her words).

Thinking, thinking . . .

Bastards Last Stand
Prov0st and Judge

Post by Bastards Last Stand » Thu May 02, 2013 10:14 am

Yeah, it definitely leaves you filling in a lot of the blanks on your own, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I still think it could have been a pretty good show, there's just some really poorly done aspects that make it a rough 10 or 11 hours until you finally get to the payoff. Mostly, I just wish the actors/acting wasn't so damn horrible.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Thu May 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Yep, totally agree with Bastard.

I do think this had "American Horror Story" potential, but due to a few shitty performances and choosing to really drag things painfully along, then dropping a bunch of shit in the last two episodes, they kind of shot themselves in the foot. They could have used material from the last two episodes to really flesh things out and build it up a bit more over the 5-6 episodes before that.

Bastards Last Stand
Prov0st and Judge

Post by Bastards Last Stand » Thu May 02, 2013 2:33 pm

If nothing else, I suppose you could always watch it for the crazy amounts of sexual tension/unrequited love between a pretty boy werewolf and Eric Northman's little brother.