Defiance

Movies, Albums, Games, whatever. Tell us what you thought!
Alluveal
vagina boob

Defiance

Post by Alluveal » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 pm

Anyone see the pilot? I thought it was watchable, but had issues. These could go away after the pilot. We'll see. I know it has tie-ins to the MMO which I find interesting.

The biggest issue was that the show didn't seem to find itself in the first episode and it felt a little to in media res for my taste. I mean, it's one thing to start off with things rolling, but to kind of throw the viewer into this big down, the politics, the players, the citizens and not give much backstory or rising character action, was a bit jarring. Oh, here's these guys. Wait, here's a family that doesn't like THAT family. Hold up, there's the whore who's sisters with the mayor. They could have been a bit more graceful with introducing characters and politics.

The male lead seemed to be trying to be like Mal from Firefly and Han Solo, but I imagine he'll find his own.
I liked the female lead better. Felt she had more depth.

The enemy at the end felt extremely rushed. Who are these bad guys? Everyone seems to shake in their boots, but why? We heard about "reavers" on Firefly on episode 1 and we knew exactly what they were from two sentences: "If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing. And, if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order."

We never got this with the volge (bad guys). Okay, they have robots. And humanoids . . . maybe. Don't feel an ounce of fear here.

But, all griping aside, I thought it was entertaining. And I'll try anything with Mia Kirshner in it.

Kulaf
Soverign Grand Postmaster General

Re: Defiance

Post by Kulaf » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:25 pm

I saw part of the pilot. It seemed like Firefly lite without space travel.

Massterloo
Intimate Sexretary

Post by Massterloo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:47 am

I watched. It's really hard to see another movie/show where the hero is human among a shitload of different aliens. And where all these Alien's last refuge is Earth. It was also hard to focus on the show when I know it might just be support advertising for the it's online game. Depending on wich one is more succesful.

I liked (sarcasm)how the bad aliens have so much mech armor, and nothing that attacks by flying. The shield wall was such awesome protection, and when it came down all the Mech armored soldiers disappeared, leaving nothing but unarmored grunts to be sweaped away by the ground level pulse wave of doom. WE WIN.
Mastrloo
70 Iksar Monk
7 years later.
The hills are still triangles.
And the trees are still blocks.

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:50 am

Saw the trailer, said "looks cool" and she said "it's been waiting on the DVR to see if you like it." Gonna watch it today.

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Post by Minute » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:59 pm

Terrible
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:20 am

I heard the 2nd is far better, so I'm gonna watch that here today.

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Post by Minute » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:07 pm

Alluveal wrote:I heard the 2nd is far better, so I'm gonna watch that here today.
Really? Hrmm... it would have to get a LOT better. I couldn't even finish the first episode.
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Kulaf
Soverign Grand Postmaster General

Post by Kulaf » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:46 pm

So somehow teraforming Earth.....in only 33 years mind you (what a F'ing miracle that must have been), resulted in the Earth's crust "folding over" old St. Louis and a fully functional nuclear plant just happened to be under Defiance and one awesomely brilliant alien managed to restart it all by himself.

I am giving this show 1 more episode before I write it off.

VaziirJivaan
Apprentice n00b

Post by VaziirJivaan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:42 am

I couldn't get past the first fifteen minutes of the first episode...

-Vaz