The best review ever (Fifty Shades of Grey)

Movies, Albums, Games, whatever. Tell us what you thought!
Alluveal
vagina boob

The best review ever (Fifty Shades of Grey)

Post by Alluveal » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:21 am

I lol'ed so hard at this:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

I read the first sentence of this POS book and pretty much vomited into my mouth. Funniest review ever.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Re: The best review ever (Fifty Shades of Grey)

Post by Harlowe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:15 pm

I think she reviews all three of them and I remember it being hilarious. =)

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 am

This was the series that started as Twilight fan fiction? I still can't believe the missus got me to watch all 5 parts of Twilight.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 pm

The Twilight series is literary genius compared to Fifty Shades of Grey.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:07 pm

It really is. I read the other two reviews, Harlowe. Bwahahaha!

BTW, I heard Goodreads was bought out by Amazon. Kind of feel like this about that...

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:52 am

Argh me too.....

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:29 am

Amazon has a "rule" (one of many shitty rules) stating that writers can't write reviews for other writers on the site, UNLESS, it's a positive review. So, essentially, the rating system that is already easily exploitable, has become even more crappy. After all, better reviews can mean better sales.

I counted on goodreads to get my reviews.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:08 am

Oh the review system is totally corrupt. You can buy 5 star reviews. You'll notice there are mostly sock-puppet 5 star reviews on ebooks (especially the self-published shit in cooking and fitness) - along with a lot of stolen content. I remember seeing some random self-published fitness book, came out one week and the next there were 5 reviews all 5 stars and they were talking about how this book changed their life. If you clicked on the reviewer you'd see it was their only review or they 5 star reviewed all that person's crap. One of my favorite bloggers busted a person that was using nearly a dozen accounts to repackage other people's ebooks (and was using all her artwork). It all was taken down after she went after them, but they just pop up as yet another person, Amazon just makes it far too easy. Too easy to self-publish not using a real identity and too easy to sock-puppet reviews.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:21 am

Harlowe, someone I knew had her work stolen (from a locked/private message board where folks shared erotica stories). The thief (Robin Scott, if that's his/her real name) took material from these boards and put their name on it. Amazon was extremely shitty about removing the titles. It took them quite over a week to get the titles removed and they kept removing comments and reviews that said, "THIS WORK IS STOLEN."

Right now, the Kindle Store falls under the umbrella of "Safe Harbor" protection. In short, they are not liable for plagiarized content that writers submit through their site. They are required to take the content off their website if it's been shown to be plagiarized, but nobody can hold Amazon accountable.

When the author whose work was stolen (mentioned above), for example, found her material under Robin Scott's name, Amazon could not be held accountable for any wrong-doing, nor did Amazon have to take any legal action against Robin Scott. As a matter of fact, they sent an email to the victim stating that all legal action was in her hands and that Amazon had no obligation whatsoever. Okay, fine, but "Robin Scott" had been accused of doing this numerous times and was still allowed to keep his/her author name, Amazon account, and was still allowed to continue uploading plagiarized material until "caught." Penalty? Remove your works. Period. The end. Amazon still gets the money from those sales.

In the writing world, there are people who sell their reviews, people who are paid by the author to review their book (and probably give them a solid review). These reviewers have a lot of reviews under their belts, but if you look at their reviews, they're pretty much generic, blanket statements that can be applied to almost any book of certain genres. And then there are the one-time-reviewers like you mention.

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian

Post by Ddrak » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:42 pm

I hope Amazon continues to get safe harbor status. If you can go after content hosts (profitable or not) with the DMCA then I will have to close the board, YouTube would go down in an instant, as would Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit, SA, and pretty much every other place that hosts user generated content.

You can compel Amazon to release details on who Robin Scott is - just have to lawyer up and start firing off subpoenas.

Dd

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Ddrak wrote:I hope Amazon continues to get safe harbor status. If you can go after content hosts (profitable or not) with the DMCA then I will have to close the board, YouTube would go down in an instant, as would Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit, SA, and pretty much every other place that hosts user generated content.

You can compel Amazon to release details on who Robin Scott is - just have to lawyer up and start firing off subpoenas.

Dd
"Robin Scott" was tracked to China and there the hunt ended. Many of these plagiarists are overseas.

The most recent thing from China is "selling" ebooks online (without the author's permission). But, most of these do not deliver goods. They simply snag CC information when people go to purchase.

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian

Post by Ddrak » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:00 am

"Robin Scott" was tracked to China and there the hunt ended. Many of these plagiarists are overseas.
Ah. They're screwed then.

Dd

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:47 am

Once they know about something like this, their safe harbor status only applies if they act on it. The thing is, they only "know" about it if you follow the procedure.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:16 pm

Yeah, it sucks all around. China has been massively shitty about this stuff (and snagging CC and identity info). Fuckers!

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Those fuckers are much more nimble than us, and they run circles even around companies like Amazon. Google is much better at dealing with fraud in general because they will use analytics on your ass. Their algorithms sniff all that shady shit out. Amazon mostly uses their analytics to maximize profits. You buy a jacket and the red one is $10 more than the black one because their analytics determine you'll pay it, and you do. Bastards. I love Amazon and Google, but they are still mega-corporations with shareholder mandates to grow large enough to blot out the sun.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:35 pm

It bugs me that the popular colors are more, but then again if you buy an off-color you can sometimes get a great deal. Yesterday I bought a pair of pink trim hiking/trail athletic shoes because they wanted $35 more for blue ones. I don't care, I go through athletic shoes so quickly I only care about the quality, so I spent the extra $8.99 to get them next day (Sat) delivery, so when I went out in the slush and slippery shit today I had a great new pair of shoes to do it in.