Big Brother Is Listening...

Dumbass pinko-nazi-neoconservative-hippy-capitalists.
Partha
Reading is fundamental!!!1!!
Posts: 11322
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:42 am
Location: Rockford, IL

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Partha » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Harlowe, that's more of that 'both sides do it' stuff that drives me nuts.

The truth is, the President is using his powers to the limit. All Presidents do that. The problem is Congress won't set limits on Executive power. That's why you have nonsense like the War Powers Act, the PATRIOT Act, and the AUMF.
Well, it’s the Super-Monroe Doctrine: “Get off our oil, people who dress funny!” - M. Bouffant

"You're a bad captain, Zarde. People like you only learn by being touched, and hard. And you will greatly disapprove of where these men put their hands." - M. Vanderbeam.

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:39 am
Location: Brothel Relbeeks Mother Whores Herself From

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Minute » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Everything I do on the PC is through an encrypted VPN that keeps no logs & that changes my IP & connection location every hour. I am fairly confident in it's security. None of that really matters though because my phone is connected to every fucking thing I do as well. So if they can make the phone companies turn over their shit it's irrelevant. I think it's all bullshit. I think my ISP should serve as my VPN & my phone company should do the equivalent. And they both should have fought tooth & nail to maintain that privacy... but nope. Instead I have to start trying to find crazy actual terrorist type strategies to employ to maintain even a smidgen of privacy.
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

User avatar
Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw
Posts: 10640
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:13 pm
Location: My underground lair

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Harlowe » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:48 pm

That's my point Partha, both sides use it to the limit and that's a problem.

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian
Posts: 17468
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: Straya mate!
Contact:

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Ddrak » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:53 am

Minute wrote:Everything I do on the PC is through an encrypted VPN that keeps no logs & that changes my IP & connection location every hour. I am fairly confident in it's security. None of that really matters though because my phone is connected to every fucking thing I do as well. So if they can make the phone companies turn over their shit it's irrelevant. I think it's all bullshit. I think my ISP should serve as my VPN & my phone company should do the equivalent. And they both should have fought tooth & nail to maintain that privacy... but nope. Instead I have to start trying to find crazy actual terrorist type strategies to employ to maintain even a smidgen of privacy.
Go the other direction. Send up so much suspicious looking stuff that they can't tell real action from false-flag.

Dd
Image

Partha
Reading is fundamental!!!1!!
Posts: 11322
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:42 am
Location: Rockford, IL

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Partha » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:39 am

Harlowe wrote:That's my point Partha, both sides use it to the limit and that's a problem.
That's not the point. It's not a conscious decision. If it was a matter of 'sides' then Presidential power would be proscribed every time one party ran the Congress and the other one ran the Presidency.
Well, it’s the Super-Monroe Doctrine: “Get off our oil, people who dress funny!” - M. Bouffant

"You're a bad captain, Zarde. People like you only learn by being touched, and hard. And you will greatly disapprove of where these men put their hands." - M. Vanderbeam.

Tarfang_Trubasher
Mastah Elect of 9
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:42 am
Contact:

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Tarfang_Trubasher » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:32 am

Here's the whistleblower...

Edward Snowden exposes global spy grid

-TF
Tarfang Trubasher
Master Basher of the Trollie Kind

User avatar
Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw
Posts: 10640
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:13 pm
Location: My underground lair

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Harlowe » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:59 am

Some crucial facts appear to be inaccurate ..

http://www.zdnet.com/the-real-story-in- ... 000016570/

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:39 am
Location: Brothel Relbeeks Mother Whores Herself From

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Minute » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:56 pm

Ddrak wrote:
Minute wrote:Everything I do on the PC is through an encrypted VPN that keeps no logs & that changes my IP & connection location every hour. I am fairly confident in it's security. None of that really matters though because my phone is connected to every fucking thing I do as well. So if they can make the phone companies turn over their shit it's irrelevant. I think it's all bullshit. I think my ISP should serve as my VPN & my phone company should do the equivalent. And they both should have fought tooth & nail to maintain that privacy... but nope. Instead I have to start trying to find crazy actual terrorist type strategies to employ to maintain even a smidgen of privacy.
Go the other direction. Send up so much suspicious looking stuff that they can't tell real action from false-flag.

Dd
LOL! Easy for you to say from AU Dd. They say I'm suspected of terrorist activity & I wouldn't get a lawyer, phone call, trail or anything.
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Kulaf
Soverign Grand Postmaster General
Posts: 7114
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:06 am

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Kulaf » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:43 pm

Harlowe wrote:Some crucial facts appear to be inaccurate ..

http://www.zdnet.com/the-real-story-in- ... 000016570/
Yeah gotta love it. The source of their intell was a contractor who had been on the job a whole 3 months. Wow I bet he just knows all the inner workings there at the NSA.

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian
Posts: 17468
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: Straya mate!
Contact:

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Ddrak » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:27 pm

Kulaf wrote:
Harlowe wrote:Some crucial facts appear to be inaccurate ..

http://www.zdnet.com/the-real-story-in- ... 000016570/
Yeah gotta love it. The source of their intell was a contractor who had been on the job a whole 3 months. Wow I bet he just knows all the inner workings there at the NSA.
Uh... 4 years, and on-and-off through the CIA for the 4 years before that. Also, Ad Hom much? Is your position that the slides are falsified or that his statements of fact are false? If so, what is your counter-position and based on what evidence?

Harlowe's article is attacking the journalistic hyperbole above the actual data reported, not Snowden himself.

Dd
Image

Kulaf
Soverign Grand Postmaster General
Posts: 7114
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:06 am

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Kulaf » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Ddrak wrote:
Kulaf wrote:
Harlowe wrote:Some crucial facts appear to be inaccurate ..

http://www.zdnet.com/the-real-story-in- ... 000016570/
Yeah gotta love it. The source of their intell was a contractor who had been on the job a whole 3 months. Wow I bet he just knows all the inner workings there at the NSA.
Uh... 4 years, and on-and-off through the CIA for the 4 years before that. Also, Ad Hom much? Is your position that the slides are falsified or that his statements of fact are false? If so, what is your counter-position and based on what evidence?

Harlowe's article is attacking the journalistic hyperbole above the actual data reported, not Snowden himself.

Dd
Well then this update is wrong:
Update June 10: And one more thing. In its original story, the Post calls the source of the documents "a career intelligence officer" who provided these materials "in order to expose what he believes to be a gross intrusion on privacy." We now know that the source was Edward Snowden, who was not an intelligence officer but an "infrastructure analyst" who had been in his current position with an external contractor for only three months. The "career intelligence officer" description seems exaggerated.
Personally I don't think this guy knows shit and is just blowing smoke. I especially loved the part in his video interview where he puffs up and says how he could wire tap anyone he wanted (3:32 in the video). What a crock of crap.

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian
Posts: 17468
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: Straya mate!
Contact:

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Ddrak » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:41 pm

ZDNet is doing the opposite of WaPo and exaggerating in the opposite direction. He's been CIA/NSA employed/contract for about 8 years, since he was rejected for special forces. His *current* contract with Booz-Allen is about 3 months old, but he was contracted to the NSA for a long time before. He's certainly experienced enough to know what he's talking about, though you could make a good point that he's likely to overinflate his claims.

In any case, it appears most Americans are fine with the government tracking them if there's a "terrorism" badge applied to it. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013 ... -tracking/
The poll, co-sponsored by The Washington Post, surveyed 1,004 adults over the weekend and found that more than half of them, 56 percent, felt the NSA's dragnet collection of telephone metadata was "acceptable." Another 41 percent said it was unacceptable, and 2 percent were undecided.

Fully 45 percent of Americans believe the government should "be able to monitor everyone's email to prevent possible terrorism." That's exactly the same percentage that Pew found when it asked the same question 11 years ago, less than one year after the September 2011 terrorist attacks. Today, 52 percent said universal email monitoring would be unacceptable, versus 47 percent who believed it was unacceptable in 2002.
You'll get the government you deserve. :/

Dd
Image

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator
Posts: 3015
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:35 pm

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Image

User avatar
Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw
Posts: 10640
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:13 pm
Location: My underground lair

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Harlowe » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Wouldn't doing this change his actions to more of a treason situation?
Snowden said that according to unverif ... e mainland

Embar Angylwrath
President: Rsak Fan Club
Posts: 11674
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:31 am
Location: Top of the food chain

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Embar Angylwrath » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 pm

@ Freecare...

If I'm a Republican, its ok if Bush does it. If I'm a Democrat, its ok if Obama does it. That is what that table tells me.

@Dd... yeah, we get what we deserve as a government, and that makes me want to vomit. There are so many under informed, lazy people on both sides of the political fence. Societies mirror the environment. Many prey, few predators. Guess who most of the electorate are. Guess who the politicians (and those pulling their strings) are.
Correction Mr. President, I DID build this, and please give Lurker a hug, we wouldn't want to damage his self-esteem.

Embar
Alarius

User avatar
Fallakin Kuvari
Rabid-Boy
Posts: 4109
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Contact:

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Fallakin Kuvari » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Ddrak wrote: Go the other direction. Send up so much suspicious looking stuff that they can't tell real action from false-flag.

Dd
I had actually contemplated this.
Warlord Fallakin Kuvari - 85 Wood Elf Warrior, Brell Serilis forever.
Grandmaster Nikallaf Kuvari - 70 Iksar Monk.

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:39 am
Location: Brothel Relbeeks Mother Whores Herself From

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Minute » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Embar Angylwrath wrote:@Dd... yeah, we get what we deserve as a government, and that makes me want to vomit. There are so many under informed, lazy people on both sides of the political fence. Societies mirror the environment. Many prey, few predators. Guess who most of the electorate are. Guess who the politicians (and those pulling their strings) are.
Truth. It's why I've always thought there should be some kind of qualification to vote. Doesn't even have to be a difficult one. Like 5 random questions about the political stance of the candidate you want to vote for. If you can't answer them, then you don't get to vote. I mean maybe that isn't the answer, but there really should be some way of weeding out the masses of idiots who vote based on completely uninformed or worse falsely-informed information.

"Uhh... I voted for that guy because my dad's a republican..."
"I voted that guy because he's from Texas!!!"
"I voted for that girl because she cried on Opera =["
"I voted Republican because Obama is a Muslim from Kenya!!!"
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Partha
Reading is fundamental!!!1!!
Posts: 11322
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:42 am
Location: Rockford, IL

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Partha » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:45 am

Minute wrote:
Embar Angylwrath wrote:@Dd... yeah, we get what we deserve as a government, and that makes me want to vomit. There are so many under informed, lazy people on both sides of the political fence. Societies mirror the environment. Many prey, few predators. Guess who most of the electorate are. Guess who the politicians (and those pulling their strings) are.
Truth. It's why I've always thought there should be some kind of qualification to vote. Doesn't even have to be a difficult one. Like 5 random questions about the political stance of the candidate you want to vote for. If you can't answer them, then you don't get to vote. I mean maybe that isn't the answer, but there really should be some way of weeding out the masses of idiots who vote based on completely uninformed or worse falsely-informed information.

"Uhh... I voted for that guy because my dad's a republican..."
"I voted that guy because he's from Texas!!!"
"I voted for that girl because she cried on Opera =["
"I voted Republican because Obama is a Muslim from Kenya!!!"
It's much shorter to just say 'Those other people shouldn't be able to vote.'
Well, it’s the Super-Monroe Doctrine: “Get off our oil, people who dress funny!” - M. Bouffant

"You're a bad captain, Zarde. People like you only learn by being touched, and hard. And you will greatly disapprove of where these men put their hands." - M. Vanderbeam.

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat
Posts: 3419
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:39 am
Location: Brothel Relbeeks Mother Whores Herself From

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Minute » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Naw Partha, this isn't a left-right or even a me-them statement. I think people who vote for candidates that I don't necessarily align with should count as long as they actually know enough about the person to legitimize their vote. If I can't answer a short questionnaire correctly about the person I'm electing to represent me, why should my vote count? We have certifications for most things that shows you qualify to do certain tasks. Drive, Teach, operate a forklift. The only qualification to vote is being born. And in my opinion that isn't enough.
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian
Posts: 17468
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: Straya mate!
Contact:

Re: Big Brother Is Listening...

Post by Ddrak » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:57 am

Very important blowback from the NSA spying coming out - the rest of the world will no longer trust the US to manage a "free internet". Next time the US says "trust us" at an ITU meeting, Iran and Russia will call BS and no one will be able to rationally argue against them. The NSA has effectively set the wheels in motion for the US losing control on a world stage and the Balkanization of the internet as a whole. /golfclap.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2 ... rom_t.html

Dd
Image

Post Reply