EQ II & WoW - Another Pointless Thread

Where we bitch about retard n00bs - online and offline.
-=Xilanthanax=-
Grand Inspector Inquisitor Commander

Post by -=Xilanthanax=- » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:34 am

I'll bet mages are still insane in WoW, and I don't know that there is a dominant class in eq2 atm.
Make love? Fuck that, I'll make a slut cry. Fuck that, I'll make a slut cum nine times.

Hed PE - CBC (acoustic, live on Bubba The Love Sponge)
Hed PE - Let's Ride (live)
Skindred - Pressure (acoustic, live on Fuse)
Sevendust - Alpha (live)
Massive Attack - Teardrop (live)

Still playin eq, and waitin for Hellgate: London. 8)

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian

Post by Ddrak » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:54 pm

Inquisitors are fairly high powered in EQ2 atm if you're looking at what's possible solo.

Dd

jookkor
Prince of Libedo

Post by jookkor » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:35 pm

Summoner seems to be very powerful for solo, with essance shift (pet hp decrease and add to your power which is like mana) and soothe (pet heal) cycling you can pretty much maintain a pet indefinately against an enemy thats anywhere near your lvl.

Angelfeeties
Knight of the East & West

Post by Angelfeeties » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:06 pm

jookkor wrote:Summoner seems to be very powerful for solo, with essance shift (pet hp decrease and add to your power which is like mana) and soothe (pet heal) cycling you can pretty much maintain a pet indefinately against an enemy thats anywhere near your lvl.
But they are not the best class for soloing. They are very slow and time consuming at it, and they can only fight things that are either equal to them or one level higher. I can solo lvl 31's atm at lvl 27, but it is no wheres near efficient. Even then, EQ2's not about soloing, solo exp blows ass, even if it was efficient. Nothing beats a group busting down red double up arrows (group mobs).

So i think the question you should ask is whos overpowered in the grouping area, which i cant answer atm, i havn't grouped with many 'evil' classes yet, only bout 4.

Diamante
Master n00b

Post by Diamante » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:36 pm

I would have to agree with Ddrak, My 24 Inquisitor is pretty nasty, he can solo most even con to yellow mobs with ease, and with his solo Heroic Opportunities he can do it fairly quickly too.

Ariannda Kusanagi
WTB New Title

Post by Ariannda Kusanagi » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:20 am

Dude my peirst is totally leet. 9/10 times i can't solo anything higher then a lvl over me because they stun, the heal times seem WAY too slow and my choice of weapons doesn't seem to be all that great atm (although i did just buy a dmg reducing proc weapon)

Hunters though. they are healers with pets, aka built in tanks. Friends os mine are soloing lvl 30 mobs in his low 20's.
Ariannda, in every game its Ariannda !
Babymage !©
Arch Magus of 70 long ass seasons - RETIRED
Battle tag Ariannda #1491

We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Juujuu
Yope, eh?

Post by Juujuu » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:54 am

As a level 36 shaman I just soloed 3 level 34 mobs simotaneously and ended the fight with no mana and 1/2 health (needed a mana potion).
I can consistantly kill mobs 2 levels higher than I am with no problems.
Mobs 3 levels higher than I am pose a bit of difficulty, but I don't have to run from the fight often or die unless I get an untimely add.
Mobs 4 levels higher are usually death, unless it's a caster. Shaman own caster mobs between using instant stun nuke and our resist totems, and Tauren with their stunstomp.

My 20 mage on the other hand can usually only deal with mobs that are +2 in level.
The mobs that are +3 are usually way too resistant for me to have a chance of killing them.
My mage is better at dealing with crowds of mobs at once though, when I'm ready for them.
I can usually kill 3 equal level mobs in 1 pull without dying.
I've got the arcane talent that lets me 100% channel arcane missles (magic missle) without spell interuption, and that helps a LOT.
I'll nuke one of them down almost dead as the pack of 3 mobs runs to me, ae ice root, back off and finish the mob. Then, poly morph one of the adds, and nuke down the add. I'll repolymorph the 3rd when it frees, and back off far enough that I can basicly kill it before it can even run up to me. By this time, my ae ice root has refreshed, which ensures the 3rd one won't kill me.
But, the mage is also extremely fragile. At level 20, I still only have about 500 hps, though I got about 1100 mana or something like that. When I get the mana jade type of spells, I'll effectivly have another 1k mana for when a situation arises. I also have the channelling ability to make my mana regen quickly in combat for say an elite boss fight after dumping mana.

The highest horde character on my server is a warrior (level 55).
He said that warriors are sucking big time.
He's killing mobs about 6 or 7 levels below him for xp so he's got almost no downtime, and complains about issues killing comparable level mobs.
That, and when I've partied with warriors near my shaman's level, they have issues with ability to taunt. My shaman has better ability to taunt creatures than warriors appear to, through use of +power +aggro weapon mod buff, and our instant nuke spell interupter with high aggro.

Hunters are pretty butch solo classes, but they have extreme high maintenance.
From what I understand, one of their bag slots is pretty much completely devoted to holding ammo, so they have less inventory space.
They also have to feed their pets, so more inventory space is being taken up by food.
They are really good dps, and capable of handling pretty rough situations.
Their pets tank for them. They can stay far away doing range damage so if something bad happens, they can run away with their aspect of cheetah? buff, and have a healthy head start.
I think they can duel wield, but I'm not sure, so they have high damage output when they melee.
Depending on the pet type, they have high versatility. Turtles and bears and stuff are good tanks. Raptors and cats and thunderbirds are good dps pets I think. With pet heals, they can solo well, but I don't know how much higher level stuff or how many mobs at once they can take on.
Juujuu Bigmojo
65 Human Shaman
Watchers

rodric
Commander of the Temple

Post by rodric » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:08 am

I would have to agree with Ddrak, My 24 Inquisitor is pretty nasty, he can solo most even con to yellow mobs with ease, and with his solo Heroic Opportunities he can do it fairly quickly too.
Same with my 21st Templar. He can solo yellow con mobs without a problem. My guess is he could be doing some higher mobs too, but I've never been a big believer in pushing the envelope too much when soloing. Adept 3 nukes and tier 3 gear make it easier too.

Rhodric

Flunkie
Knight of the Rose Croix (zomg French)

Post by Flunkie » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:11 am

I have a 28 Warlock, I have little difficulty soloing mobs that are level 33-34. The only thing difficult is finding solo mobs in a spot that is safe from adds.

Jarochai Alabaster
The Original Crayola Cleric

Post by Jarochai Alabaster » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:24 am

As a 21st Templar I can solo pretty easily in EQ2. Yellows are pretty relaibly easy, oranges are doable but pretty tough. I don't have a single spell above Adept 1 (All my money going into Tradeskilling atm, not to mention I can't find any Adept 3s worth paying the multiple gold people are asking, and Master scrolls sell for 1p +), and half of my gear is Blue or Green, with one piece of Grey. The other half is Yellow and Orange. I also have several pieces of gear banked that I can't use yet (Including the AQ4 arms).
But as has been said, EQ2 solo xp blows. Grouping is the only way to effeciently gain xp, unless you want one level to take 5 - 7 hours, if not longer.
Overpowered group class? I'd say any of the Scouts. The best HOs in the game are started, shifted, and finished by the Scout Archetype. Priests don't even have any group HOs (Making us the only ones). The only ones we can start are solo. Of course, Blessing of Faith is fucking uber. Gotta love Power regen while in battle that's equivalent to out of battle.
But even considering HOs, I think the Class dynamics are pretty well balanced. The best groups will consist of all four Archetypes. Many areas all but require two healers though, and a Cleric type with either Druid or Shaman is an awesome combo for any group. I would assume that Druid + Shaman combo is equally good. Enchanters are in pretty high demand (There's a shock), especially in dungeons. Tanks are of course needed. Scouts, Nukers, and other assorted DPS classes are a necessity as well. The good groups kill FAST, and don't often need breaks.
Basically, just about any Class can get into a group without too much trouble, from what I've seen. They're all needed, they're all useful. Maybe not all equally so, but of course it's situational.
"I find it elevating and exhilarating to discover that we live in a universe which permits the evolution of molecular machines as intricate and subtle as we."
-Carl Sagan

Amalia Kuso
Grand Master Architecht

Post by Amalia Kuso » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:44 am

in WoW, it seems that every class is pretty much balanced out to me. All have their ups and downs.

I play a hunter which I can't really heal myself except through potions I make with alchemy atm, but my pet has massive taunt which keeps the foe occupied while I plug it with arrows or bullets. When it gets close to me, it then gets hurt be my traps such while I melee it.

Druid is a good class too. Mainly spellcasters and buffers, but can melee and get around fast with ports.

The warrior and priest class is actually pretty fun too...unlike EQ's.

Droobay
Apprentice n00b

Post by Droobay » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:31 pm

Priests are fun, and I am quite happy with my choice. Mine is 32 and steadily climbing. The horribly whiney wow boards pronounce shamans and paladins as being the most powerful, but a lot of it depends on skill. I've seen some hunters do amazing things solo, and rogues seem quite powerful. Mages have some amazing damage.

The game is built on the premise that all classes can solo. This premise is easily met as long as the player behind the toon has the skill to utilize all of their abilities. I've seen a level 30 paladin utterly destroy a 35, as well as a level 26 paladin die to a level 25 monster. It's really all in the person behind the character. As a priest, I can solo things 3 levels above me. I just finished the missing diplomat quest at 32 (a level 32 quest) without much trouble at all. You just have to be creative sometimes.
Dude my peirst is totally leet. 9/10 times i can't solo anything higher then a lvl over me because they stun, the heal times seem WAY too slow and my choice of weapons doesn't seem to be all that great atm (although i did just buy a dmg reducing proc weapon)
Arri, PM me if you want some priest tips. I hope you are not using a 1 hander, as there really is no decent combo's of 1 hander + off hander that I have found yet. If you are alliance, once you get a staff of westfall, you are set for a bit. As well, in the van cleef instance there is another decent staff (emberstone) with more applicable stats to priests (depending on your opinion of spirit and your style of healing with regards to the 5 second rule). I just snagged the rod of the sleepwalker off of the priest in blackfathom, so I'm glad to be done with the generic staff of westfall.

As a priest, you should be able to handle one monster up to 3 levels above you with a little challenge. Two and three gets a bit tricky, but PW:shield, renew and sw:pain become your friend. I am fully holy spec'd, so I can't speak for the glories of mind flay. However, one monster at a time has a hard time taking away any hitpoints with a full buffed out renew on me. At level 30, if you have to split up a camp, mind control can work wonders :)

What level is your priest? If you find heals slow and you are getting interupted, shield yourself, then heal. Always keep renew up if you are soloing, as well as PW: fortitude and inner fire. Don't be afraid to shield and run should the crap hit the fan.

Vumil
Der Fuhrer

Post by Vumil » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:54 pm

You can solo with any class to 60 in WoW, its far from the most efficient way no matter what class you are playing, though.

Since someone brought up mages.. mages have huge issues right now. Blizzard did not get in mages level 10 and 20 races specific spells or the 5-6 level 30+ spells that are coming to them. As polished as the game is, they still were rushed by vivendi and are crunching to get a few patches out over the next couple months to get the game to where they want it. I'm not playing a mage atm, but mages and ALL casters have a hard time with mobs +3 levels and hit a resist wall at +4 levels which they need to do something about.

Warriors have a few issues with a few abilites that don't allow them to taunt as effectively as they should be able to, they have said they're looking at them. They are infinately more entertaining to play than an EQ warrior.

Hunters are very good solo from what I have seen.

Paladins have very high survivability and are invaluable to a group, imo.
You really need to spec shadow to solo effectively as a priest, even so, some classes are abit rougher from 1-20 ish before they get some key spells and tricks. You're a healer though, you're built for grouping in alot of ways. Duoing can be very effective with all classes.

Shamans are awesome if you're horde, really versatile.

Druids are good all around filling any roll. They, however, do not get ports like someone else mentioned. Only mages get ports.

Rogues are DPS machines with some cool abilities and functional poisons.

Warlocks are great solo and in a group, they have different pets for different situations instead of a new skeleton every 4 levels. Curses that can be very helpful to you and very detrimental to monsters and more. They did a good job on the class.

The best thing about WoW is that you can choose to solo or group with any class and grouping actually yields better experience and rewards. Also you can choose to play your class in various ways and diversify with talents and be just as effective as someone playing differently. EQ to me had one best way for almost all classes in most situations. Wow is easy to get into and play for anyone. And the skill and cohesiveness of a group is very noticable.

Droobay
Apprentice n00b

Post by Droobay » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:02 pm

I agree on the mages thing. The 3+ level resist wall for nuking needs to be adjusted.
You really need to spec shadow to solo effectively as a priest
I've never had a problem with full holy spec. With improved renew 5 and spiritual healing, renew generally out regens the mobs dps. If it gets spikey, pw: shield and flash heal/normal heal can cover me up. With improved flash heal 2, i dont even bother shielding before a flash heal.

However, the shadow builds are damn nice for dps. Mindflay can churn out a sickly amount of damage. Shadow burns monsters down fast, holy outlasts them. Spirit tap is useful for when soloing, but I haven't had a need for it yet. Mage waters do the job of spirit tap nicely :)

I'm very impressed with what the paladin can bring to a group. I thoroughly enjoy instances with a paladin as they provide good solid tanking, as well as a supply of buffs. I also enjoy a two healer group because I can mind control mobs ;)

MaestroJaos
Perfect Mastah

Post by MaestroJaos » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:15 pm

For WoW id say Paladins, My brother and i team up alot, him being a 37 Paladin, and me a 32 Druid. From what ive seen paladins are damn near immpossible to kill, especially in pvp. Druids on paper look awesome with our tank, dps and travel forms, and they are really good solo, but if you are a druid in a group you WILL be healing, our tank and dps forms dont sum up to jack in comparison to rogues and warriors. However its fun to be able to change from a bear to a cat to a sealion. Also Druids do get one, self-only port to moonglade, makes it easier ro travel back and forth between Darnassus and Stormwind.
-Jaos <Enshadowed>
Retired

Nechi Gladerunner
Prov0st and Judge

Post by Nechi Gladerunner » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:30 pm

"I agree on the mages thing. The 3+ level resist wall for nuking needs to be adjusted."

This is there for pretty much everyone. With 3 levels above the melee damage becomes almost nill. I went from hitting for 70-80 with my 30dps dagger as a shaman to 12-15 on level 42 mobs at level 38. Spell skill levels and melee skill levels are the same except for having to work the melee skills up. My shaman is now level 42 and I can solo level 40-44 Elite mobs pretty effectively, they give around 500-800exp a kill and a kill takes about 2 minutes. My normal group farms Scarlet Monestary and Ulderman right now for blue drops so our gear is pretty nice, I am at 2495hp unbuffed and 3655 armor.