The Returnees Thread

91.3% uncensored free-for-all (see, no false advertising here)
User avatar
SicTimMitchell
E Pluribus Sputum
Posts: 5153
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:05 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

The Returnees Thread

Post by SicTimMitchell » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Who else is back with the new levels of membership? (Returnees get "silver" status automatically, and some awesome rewards depending on how long ago you started.)

Thoughts? Impressions?

The game is mondo fun now. One of my "legendary rewards" was a red skellie mercenary -- my own pocket Cleric. Not only does it buff and do complete heals, it rezzes me.

At 73, Rangers get a great new root for soloing -- sticks well, AE root that turns into a snare after it wears off.

Lots of us seem to be coming back, and a surprising number never left. It's like a retirement home in there, and everybody has "glory days" stories.

I got to ding 73 in Plane of Time. It really is a cool zone.

Bangzoom Tudormoon
73rd Ranger of Karana
Veteran Crew Through and Through
Bangzoom
94 Ranger of Karana
Veteran Crew, through and through
_______________________________________________________________________________

User avatar
Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw
Posts: 10640
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:13 pm
Location: My underground lair

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Harlowe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:47 pm

You make me want to log on. I think I only got to 69 or 70 though. :shock:

calleagh
Grand Master Architecht
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:29 am

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by calleagh » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:32 pm

yeah yeah i caved. i feel tainted now. oh and tim............don't think you can go to pof and kill all the mobs with one HS anymore. my sk got 3 levels in one night with a ranger doing that.
calleagh

User avatar
Barrin
Some Newbie
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:31 pm
Location: Cincinnati
Contact:

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Barrin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:34 pm

I installed the game, but I haven't really played it. I can't use any of my gear because it has augments (adornments? gems?) and I can't remember how to take them off.

User avatar
Fallakin Kuvari
Rabid-Boy
Posts: 4109
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:51 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Contact:

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Fallakin Kuvari » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 pm

I stopped in... I see an uninstall in the future
Warlord Fallakin Kuvari - 85 Wood Elf Warrior, Brell Serilis forever.
Grandmaster Nikallaf Kuvari - 70 Iksar Monk.

calleagh
Grand Master Architecht
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:29 am

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by calleagh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:28 am

Barrin wrote:I installed the game, but I haven't really played it. I can't use any of my gear because it has augments (adornments? gems?) and I can't remember how to take them off.
that i do remember. buy aug distiller from either butcherblock or in the gh. put it (along with the aug) in the birdbath and that takes it off.
calleagh

User avatar
Arathena
kNight of the Sun (oxymoron)
Posts: 1622
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:37 pm

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Arathena » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Yeah, if I can't use what I earned, fuck it.

Of course, there's our Emu server...
Archfiend Arathena Sa`Riik
Poison Arrow

Partha
Reading is fundamental!!!1!!
Posts: 11322
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:42 am
Location: Rockford, IL

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Partha » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:25 pm

I can't even remember what level I was when last I played EQ. I know I was already about 400 AA's behind being a decent tank, though.
Well, it’s the Super-Monroe Doctrine: “Get off our oil, people who dress funny!” - M. Bouffant

"You're a bad captain, Zarde. People like you only learn by being touched, and hard. And you will greatly disapprove of where these men put their hands." - M. Vanderbeam.

User avatar
Barrin
Some Newbie
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:31 pm
Location: Cincinnati
Contact:

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Barrin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:54 pm

So, I managed to remove all my augments, so my gear was usable again. Got myself a nice healer mercenary and set off to fight some mobs. Found an even con (level 70) basilisk out in an oasis looking zone, and decided to give it a shot. 5 grueling minutes later, my merc was OOM and the mob was at 30%. My input in this time consisted of hitting backstab every 6 seconds and trying not to fall asleep. I then remembered why I uninstalled the game the last time it was free after 30 minutes.

I did notice a ton of people logged in to check it out since it went free. I was still in <Watchers> and saw a bunch of old faces that popped in to check it out.

Xican
Grand Inspector Inquisitor Commander
Posts: 2575
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:30 pm
Location: Dwelling in the depths.
Contact:

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Xican » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Bangzoom!

...Where the hell have you been?
"If beer has never touched your lips, you've never dropped the mitts or packed a dip, chances are you're not a hockey player, and if you are -- chances are you're not a very good one"
-Todd Bertuzzi

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat
Posts: 3418
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:39 am
Location: Brothel Relbeeks Mother Whores Herself From

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Minute » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:46 am

LOL, if I came back right now I'd be level.. 50 with no AA I think.
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Kliban Nimbledigits
It's spelled KLIBAN damn it.
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:17 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Kliban Nimbledigits » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:11 am

Alt this.
Ctrl that

When did the EQ UI get so fucked up? Was it always like that? I left some time after Omens.
Mal: Seems we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?

Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir.

Mal: Ain't we just.

Quote from Firefly

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator
Posts: 3015
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:35 pm

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:10 am

Arathena wrote:Yeah, if I can't use what I earned, fuck it.

Of course, there's our Emu server...
Exactly. And our version isn't Crippleware. No gimmicks here, or experimental marketing models.

My take on all this is: If FTP is so great, why is it mainly being done out of desperation on titles that aren't doing so hot? For MMOs it's been something of last resort versus something designed into the DNA of the game. We all know how sexy desperation is...

Turaylon Soulshadow
Finder of lost things
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:26 pm
Location: Watertown, CT
Contact:

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Turaylon Soulshadow » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am

Freecare Spiritwise wrote:
Arathena wrote:Yeah, if I can't use what I earned, fuck it.

Of course, there's our Emu server...
Exactly. And our version isn't Crippleware. No gimmicks here, or experimental marketing models.

My take on all this is: If FTP is so great, why is it mainly being done out of desperation on titles that aren't doing so hot? For MMOs it's been something of last resort versus something designed into the DNA of the game. We all know how sexy desperation is...
...are you guys running your own Emu server?? Gimme infos!!!

Also...HOLY SHIT BANGZOOM!!!???!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my ass.

User avatar
Taxious
Rum Guzzler
Posts: 5056
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:16 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Taxious » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:40 am

Turaylon Soulshadow wrote:...are you guys running your own Emu server?? Gimme infos!!!
Someone apparently doesn't read the Gaming sub forum...
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Turaylon Soulshadow
Finder of lost things
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:26 pm
Location: Watertown, CT
Contact:

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Turaylon Soulshadow » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Taxious wrote:
Turaylon Soulshadow wrote:...are you guys running your own Emu server?? Gimme infos!!!
Someone apparently doesn't read the Gaming sub forum...
Didn't we go over this already? I barely read general chat nowadays :-P
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my ass.

User avatar
xilly
Knight of the sWordz
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:48 am
Location: My house
Contact:

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by xilly » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:34 pm

I reinstalled and logged in. Said Hi to Partha in general chat, and said hi to Arkaron in PoK, then logged out cause I was too confused as to wtf was going on.
Reviews Editor - Frontburnr | Twitter

Kliban Nimbledigits
It's spelled KLIBAN damn it.
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:17 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Kliban Nimbledigits » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:33 pm

xilly wrote:I reinstalled and logged in. Said Hi to Partha in general chat, and said hi to Arkaron in PoK, then logged out cause I was too confused as to wtf was going on.
I know what you mean. I finally found the mailbox feature only to see it with 50+ emails about buying platinum. The oldest being from 2006. I am still running into walls too.
Mal: Seems we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?

Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir.

Mal: Ain't we just.

Quote from Firefly

User avatar
SicTimMitchell
E Pluribus Sputum
Posts: 5153
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:05 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Contact:

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by SicTimMitchell » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:27 am

Still playing, and it's getting better and better.

* A bunch of augs have had their "prestige" flag removed.

* Power Sources no longer flag armor with purity "prestige."

* Do the tutorial quests starting in PoK! You will get some genuinely nice stuff.

* Remember to /claim your bonus items -- even better free stuff.

* If your stuff sucks, try temporarily going with Elegant (not Elaborate) Defiant items from the Bazaar or friends. Most pieces can be bought for 100-500P and a little patience.

You WILL want to purchase extra inventory slots. This is the one thing I did in haste to get playing again that I don't regret.

Also, if any of your armor or weapons are yellowed out in your inventory, you are nekkid in that slot. I had an SK returnee try tanking for me who didn't know this yet. He died like a Ranger.

Bangzoom
73rd Level Human Ranger of Karana
Veteran Crew through and through
Bangzoom
94 Ranger of Karana
Veteran Crew, through and through
_______________________________________________________________________________

Kliban Nimbledigits
It's spelled KLIBAN damn it.
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:17 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Returnees Thread

Post by Kliban Nimbledigits » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:17 pm

SicTimMitchell wrote:Still playing, and it's getting better and better.

* A bunch of augs have had their "prestige" flag removed.

* Power Sources no longer flag armor with purity "prestige."

* Do the tutorial quests starting in PoK! You will get some genuinely nice stuff.

* Remember to /claim your bonus items -- even better free stuff.

* If your stuff sucks, try temporarily going with Elegant (not Elaborate) Defiant items from the Bazaar or friends. Most pieces can be bought for 100-500P and a little patience.

You WILL want to purchase extra inventory slots. This is the one thing I did in haste to get playing again that I don't regret.

Also, if any of your armor or weapons are yellowed out in your inventory, you are nekkid in that slot. I had an SK returnee try tanking for me who didn't know this yet. He died like a Ranger.

Bangzoom
73rd Level Human Ranger of Karana
Veteran Crew through and through
Yep, I'm going to stop playing now. I don't understand 95% of what you said. :mrgreen:
Mal: Seems we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?

Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir.

Mal: Ain't we just.

Quote from Firefly

Post Reply