Ebay question

91.3% uncensored free-for-all (see, no false advertising here)
Croinc
Put the fuckin dog in the basket

Ebay question

Post by Croinc » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:45 pm

OK, so I dont really use ebay a lot. It looks like a good site to get some nice things. However, other than getting concert tickets or what-not, I really didnt have a need to use it. Through a transaction last year, I had about $40 sitting in my paypal account. I decided to use it to get this xbox 360 game. I won the auction and I used paypal to make the transaction. So, it's been like 5 days with no response at all from the seller. I'm not too worried (seller has a 100% rating). I was just wondering, is this amount of time normal? And, what should I do if he doesnt respond??

Anyone have an ebay nightmare stories to talk about?

--Cro

P.S. -- DD I guess I could donate you the remaining $.17 left in the account to help the site :D
Where's Ronald Reagan when you need him???

Alluveal
vagina boob

Re: Ebay question

Post by Alluveal » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:53 pm

I think they have a set time period in order to get back with you, don't they? Before the transaction is null/void?

Klast Brell
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Post by Klast Brell » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:00 pm

Do the sellers contact you at all. Or does the shit just show up on your door step one day?

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:08 pm

I've had about 50-50. Some sellers are really good about contacting you with shipping information, some don't even respond to your emails. Your shit just shows up. I've never had a problem that filing a Paypal non-receipt didn't fix. It's a good way to get their attention if it's been 7-10 days and you haven't rec'd your item.

You said they had a 100% rating, but really how many feedbacks? A 100% rating with just 3 feedbacks wouldn't be anything great.

Croinc
Put the fuckin dog in the basket

Post by Croinc » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:16 pm

All the feedback was "QUICK RESPONSE, GREAT SELLER/BUYER".

Hell, maybe the guy is just sitting on the beach in Cancun on vacation?
Where's Ronald Reagan when you need him???

Mukik
Knight of the East & West

Post by Mukik » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:06 pm

or he's enjoying a healthy bowel movement.

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:40 pm

I love ebay. I've used it to buy and sell everything from clothes to laptops, and only had a problem with someone once. If you are fast to pay and they aren't saying anything, I would assume that they will be shipping it to you asap. I would either wait a couple more days or just send the seller a friendly email. Maybe something like: "Hey, I bought your item 'My Little Pony - Extreme Adventures' for the xbox 360 on eBay about <x> days ago. I paid with paypal on the <y>. I was just curious as to the status of this item as I haven't heard from you and I haven't received the game yet."

My worst ebay moment: I bought halo 2 a while ago and the game didn't work when I put it in my xbox. "The disc cannot be read. Maybe it needs to be cleaned." I contacted the seller (who had a high number of feedback but only about 96% positive) who pretty much told me "tough shit, it was working for me." I opened a dispute with ebay (which actually just turns into a dispute with paypal) and uploaded pictures of the error and everything. A couple days later, I got my xbox 360 from ebay (one of the best purchases I've ever made, I love my 360 like whoa) and tried halo 2 in it. Everything worked fine so I just canceled the dispute. The guy turned out to be a real ass when I was trying to work things out with him, but I would have gotten my money back through paypal if I had wanted to.

My best ebay moment: My mom kept a shitload of Barbie dolls from when she was a little kid and all of a sudden wanted to try and get rid of them. "Jasper, I don't know how much these are worth, but if you can sell them on ebay, I'll give you half of whatever they go for. I tried selling a couple of them in a garage sale and some lady offered $50 for one of them but I had a feeling I could get more for it online." After all was said and done, the one that the lady wanted to buy for $50 ended for a little over $4,300 in its own auction - no shit. The others weren't really worth much (a giant set for $120, another giant set for $40) but we were really happy about the big surprise sale.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Ariannda Kusanagi
WTB New Title

Post by Ariannda Kusanagi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:57 pm

I actually had my ebay account hacked, and someone was selling cars under my user ID. I got several messages about (xx car) and I had to email the people telling them I hoped they hadn't sent any money, because i was NOT running an auction, i had no cars for sale and I was in communication with ebay over the whole ordeal.

Aside from that I've had great luck with people I've dealt with. Most sellers have contacted me with any sort of problem, or if I decided I no longer wanted the item I haven't had a problem, and I've had nothing but good responses form the people I've communicated with.

100% rating shit, it's been 5 days I'd be getting worried. And I too am under the impression that the seller has a certain amount of time to contact you or the transaction is void ? I'd think most people would want to, just to confirm that the item has been sent, etc.
Ariannda, in every game its Ariannda !
Babymage !©
Arch Magus of 70 long ass seasons - RETIRED
Battle tag Ariannda #1491

We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Valoria1234
Perfect Mastah

Post by Valoria1234 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:26 pm

Did you sell your children on EBay also? Did they sell for more then ten bucks? You are a terrible mother for doing so btw.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:50 pm

Embar Angylwrath
President: Rsak Fan Club

Post by Embar Angylwrath » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:00 pm

I've done several transactions via E-bay. Some of the people were non-responsive, some were very proactive. But I've never had an item not show up.

My best E-bay purchase was for a classical guitar that normally retails for a couple thousand dollars new. Got it for only a few hundred dollars. I love that instrument. Smooth and light action, beautiful tone and timbre, excellent resonance. For a 10-thumbed player like me, its the best instrument for the money outside of a true concert-quality piece. I almost cried when I listened to how good it sounded.

E-Bay rocks.
Correction Mr. President, I DID build this, and please give Lurker a hug, we wouldn't want to damage his self-esteem.

Embar
Alarius

Jarochai Alabaster
The Original Crayola Cleric

Post by Jarochai Alabaster » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:51 pm

I buy a lot of used games on eBay, and I'm pretty picky about the condition of the games I own. The cardinal rule of eBay (For me) is never buy anything that only has a "stock photo." Make sure the item pictured is the item you'll be recieving, and it's all good.

The only time I didn't do this it bit me in the ass, but not bad. I was looking for War of the Worlds (The new one) special edition version with the bonus disc and all that shit. Found one on eBay, but all it had was the stock photo. The description said it was the the Region 1 special edition though, so I went ahead and bought it. Long story short, asian bootleg. A bad one, at that. The lady selling it had a 97-98% with at least a couple thousand sales. I bitched her out, she said fuck off, I opened a claim. Unfortunately, I didn't pay that much for it and sending it back would have been at my expense. I think ultimately I would have got like $4 back, so I said to hell with it and just left some feedback for the cunt.

I still have that crappy bootleg. :x
"I find it elevating and exhilarating to discover that we live in a universe which permits the evolution of molecular machines as intricate and subtle as we."
-Carl Sagan

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:50 am

Jarochai Alabaster wrote:I still have that crappy bootleg. :x
Did it work? Was it what you wanted apart from not being bedazzled with factory glitter?

Why would it matter?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Finglefinn
Prince of teh Taberknuckle

Post by Finglefinn » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 am

I have bought and sold quite a few things on eBay and have had a vast majority of things work out great. I think my rep is up to 80 or so at 100% positive.

My worst and best eBay stories involve a similar product. I have sold about a half-dozen pairs of Air Jordan shoes on eBay. One pair sold for just over $700 and one pair I ended up losing because the buyer was a fraud. Fortunately, the pair I lost only sold for like $60.

Like Embar, I too have purchased some musical equipment using eBay and I have been very happy. I recently purchased a very nice digital SLR camera for my wife at it was a spectacular deal. What I paid for the camera, 3 lenses, a case, a tripod and a bunch of other stuff cost me less than just the camera body from the biggest and least expensive camera shop in Portland.
Finglefinn

Arathena
kNight of the Sun (oxymoron)

Post by Arathena » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:45 pm

Taxious wrote:
Did it work? Was it what you wanted apart from not being bedazzled with factory glitter?

Why would it matter?
Did it work? Probably. But not well. Hong Kong Bootreg movie often velllly badry done. It is like ordering fillet, paying for fillet, and getting served a Mcburger sans bun, doubly so if you have HD. Are they both beef? Well, probably, at least until the assay on the Mcburger gets back. Is it fraud? Definitely.
Archfiend Arathena Sa`Riik
Poison Arrow

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:07 pm

Arathena wrote:Hong Kong Bootreg movie often velllly badry done.
:lol:
Arathena wrote:
Taxious wrote:

Why would it matter?
Did it work? Probably. But not well. Hong Kong Bootreg movie often velllly badry done. It is like ordering fillet, paying for fillet, and getting served a Mcburger sans bun, doubly so if you have HD. Are they both beef? Well, probably, at least until the assay on the Mcburger gets back. Is it fraud? Definitely.
I've gotten quite a few bootleg movies over ebay and never had a problem with them. Obviously commercial DVDs don't fit on standard writable media but the things I've gotten compensate for this by either charing less for them, dividing them between multiple discs so that quality isn't lost, or just use a multilayer burner.

It's more like paying for fillet and getting fillet in a Mcburger wrapper that has no impact on the quality of what's inside.

Jarochai Alabaster

Post by Jarochai Alabaster » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:35 am

The video was noticably darker, for one. There was also the lack of any bonus material; this was feature presentation only. And the big issue really is that it wasn't what it said it was. I'm a little ocd when it comes to a few things, namely video games, music, and movies. About 99.9% of the MP3s I have on my computer I own in CD form. The only burned DVDs I own are seasons 1+2 of Red Dwarf (Given to me by a friend). And I have a collection of games going back to the NES, most of which are in excellent shape (Including packaging and all inserts). I don't have a single emulator or ROM on my computer.

These are not huge collections, by any stretch, but they are all in great condition (Except some of the CDs, but I'm currently weeding out the scratched discs and replacing them), they're all region 1/NTSC, and not a GOD DAMNED one of them is a fucking bootleg. :D

Except War of the Worlds. That's why it matters - I want things to be authentic.
"I find it elevating and exhilarating to discover that we live in a universe which permits the evolution of molecular machines as intricate and subtle as we."
-Carl Sagan

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:45 am

Jarochai will fix our economy with his fetish for shiny objects. Did you type out your last post at Starbucks on your MacBook? Did the purse-lip barista flirt with you while you ordered your trendy $7 drink?

P.S. I really enjoyed War of the Worlds. Did you end up just turning it off because of the quality or have you seen it before? The ending (the part where everyone in his family is magically alive) kind of ruined the whole thing, but there were some pretty suspenseful moments.

GINLAAN
Intimate Sexretary

Post by GINLAAN » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:54 am

I deal with ebay all the time but i only will bid or sell using pay pal.

I have had a few disputes but pay pal has come through every time either getting my money or getting the item back.
- Ginlaan -

Jarochai Alabaster

Post by Jarochai Alabaster » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:52 am

Jarochai will fix our economy with his fetish for shiny objects. Did you type out your last post at Starbucks on your MacBook? Did the purse-lip barista flirt with you while you ordered your trendy $7 drink?
Holy shit this is so not me. I don't own a laptop (Never have, don't need one), and I don't believe I've ever set foot inside a Starbucks in my life. Give me shitty IHOP or Denny's coffee, thanks.

In regard to WotW, I'd seen it a couple times. I pretty much agree that it's a great movie right up until the end. Also, the entire Robbie character was unnecessary and the movie probably would have been a little better without him.
-Carl Sagan