Attention Whore: Klast Edition

91.3% uncensored free-for-all (see, no false advertising here)
Klast Brell
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Attention Whore: Klast Edition

Post by Klast Brell » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:16 pm

So a month ago a bunch of us posted about how we wanted to loose weight. Fairly standard new years resolution fare.
Following advice from my sister I decided to weigh myself only once a month. The idea is that if you weigh yourself every day you will only ever see tiny losses and sometimes gains. But if you space the weighings far apart you will most likely see big losses every time you weigh yourself and stay motivated because of it.
I didn't quite make it to the end of the month. I just weighed myself and I lost 14 pounds in the last 30 days. I can't tell you how weird it feels. I had spent the last month expecting to see 6 pounds at best. To do more than double that is astounding to me. I haven't starved myself. But I did make some major changes to what kind of food I eat. It's easier to list what I avoid.

Saturated Fats
Hydrogenated Oils
White Starches

So that means almost every "convenience" or "Prepared" food is right out. Cutting out sugar, corn syrup, white bread, pasta and potatoes means I can't eat most things restaurants serve. Likewise I can't eat most of the meal in a box type food I brought home from the grocery store. Saturated and hydrogenated fats are the creamy ones. I still eat fats, but it's limited to fish and vegetable oils. Luckily I have found that a little olive oil goes a long way towards satisfying the craving for fats in my diet. And i can eat all the vegetables I can stand till they are coming out my ears. I often eat till I'm stuffed. (stuffed full of vegetables)

So that's my big news. I'm losing weight and I'm not miserable. Yay for me!
"A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not." - Ronald Reagan 1987

Select
VP: Rsak Fan Club

Re: Attention Whore: Klast Edition

Post by Select » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:47 pm

Cut teh sodas or any sugary drinks out too if you're on those. Cutting soda for water (or something healthier) does amazing things. My parents are eating something close to your diet; you can work the restaurant scene. It just takes some searching and things might be a little pricier. If you're craving pasta, there is some kind of grain or whole wheat pasta that's decent. I forget what it's called, but it's brownish and has a weird texture. I personally hate it, but the parents love it. Grats on sticking with it. Life changes and willpower ftw.

Minute

Post by Minute » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:19 pm

14 lbs is a lot to lose in a month, but you always lose a big chunk when you start diet/exercise program which is water weight, so it sounds like you're making some real progress. Just don't fall off the horse. I've said before, the big fault comes when people start seeing the changes in their body and feeling good about themselves and then begin to think that they can cheat a little... and it's all down hill from there.

Grats on your success. Keep up the good work yo!
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Embar Angylwrath
President: Rsak Fan Club

Post by Embar Angylwrath » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:51 pm

Good job Klast. Fourteen in a month is a great accomplishment (almost too great). One pound a week is considered a pretty good rate of loss. Two pounds is really aggressive.

But like Minute said, the first few pounds come off quick. Same happened to me when I decided to draw the line. The first 10 pounds fell off, with little change (decided to walk 3 miles a day, everyday, took about an hour), and also stopped snacking after dinner. Those were the only changes I made.

Minute is also right that I felt great about the loss, and started to cheat (mostly stopped the exercise).. and the weight came back on.
Correction Mr. President, I DID build this, and please give Lurker a hug, we wouldn't want to damage his self-esteem.

Embar
Alarius

Arkaron
50 Helens Agree: Necros > All

Post by Arkaron » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:34 am

Plantar fasciitis is putting a dent in the running, but I am at least making sure to up the level of activity or do other kinds of training. We'll see what happens in another month.

Klast Brell

Post by Klast Brell » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:39 am

I just need to loose 6 pounds a month for the rest of the year to make my goal. Thanks for the word about cheating. I didn't realize it I read it but the thought was somewhere in the back of my mind waiting to fully form itself.
Sugary sodas are definitely banned. I drink diet sodas, black coffee and plain water now.
"A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not." - Ronald Reagan 1987

Kulaf
Soverign Grand Postmaster General

Post by Kulaf » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:14 am

You should have weighed yourself after the first 2 weeks. That is when you see the largest drop due to your body no longer artificially retaining water due to excessive carb intake. I bet you lost 10 or 12 pounds in that first 2 week period.

Garrdor
Damnit Jim!

Post by Garrdor » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:59 am

I eat nothing but fastfood/frozen burritos/poptarts and I'm fit and you know it.
Didn't your mama ever tell you not to tango with a carrot?

Finglefinn
Prince of teh Taberknuckle

Post by Finglefinn » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:47 am

If I were you, Klast, I'd cut the diet soda out as well. The synthetic sugars, in some cases, are the sole cause of indegestion and acid reflux. I'd stick to the coffee and water.

Keep up the self-discipline. Grats!
Finglefinn

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:39 pm

Finglefinn wrote:If I were you, Klast, I'd cut the diet soda out as well. The synthetic sugars, in some cases, are the sole cause of indegestion and acid reflux. I'd stick to the coffee and water.
If anything, I was going to say cut out the coffee. My sister's result from not getting her daily caffeine fix is, IMO, a lot more detrimental than a tummy ache. :P
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:33 pm

I would definitely cut out the diet soda. Carbonated drinks take oxygen from your system. Water is awesome, though also look into stuff like green tea.

I have never been a fan of "cutting certain things out of your diet." I went on the high protein/low carb diet and ended up in the hospital with a frazzled liver. The doctor asked me, "Is this a diet you can do for the rest of your life? If it's not, you'll just gain the weight back when you return to your usual menu."

Exercise is definitely up there, though I suggest some weight training. The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn. Why do you think men lose weight faster than women? More muscle.

They say "3 days to an idea, 3 weeks to a potential, 3 months to a new habit." For me, it was about breaking old (bad) habits and learning new ones. Unless you change those habits, then the work will be for naught.

Also, what Minute said rings so true. People start to feel better about themselves, then start to "cheat" a little because they've limited themselves. The way around that is learning how to implement ALL foods into your diet. You can't expect to go through life and never have a piece of pizza. If you find a way to allow for these things (in moderation) and plan for it and not think, "OMGZ I JUST ATE SOME PIZZA, I GIVE UP!" then you are really on your way. While I agree with Minute's idea, I'll go a step further with it. It's not staying on the wagon that keeps you going, it's learning how to deal with the times you DO slip up, or HOW to let yourself eat those bad things once in a while and not let yourself go hog wild.

Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian

Post by Ddrak » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:05 pm

Carbonated drinks take oxygen from your system.
That's an urban myth, just fyi.

Dd

Select
VP: Rsak Fan Club

Post by Select » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:21 pm

If you find a way to allow for these things (in moderation) and plan for it and not think, "OMGZ I JUST ATE SOME PIZZA, I GIVE UP!" then you are really on your way.
How true. I stay away from chocolate and sweets, but as soon as I hit the end of my PMS and then my period, it's binge, binge, binge on snickers! :D Then I go back to the normal food regimen. So, satisfy your cravings during your next period, Klast.

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:23 am

Ddrak wrote:
Carbonated drinks take oxygen from your system.
That's an urban myth, just fyi.

Dd
orly?

I had some coaches in high school that exiled carbonated drinks for that very reason. One claimed that the deionized water in them was the most harmful part.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Garrdor
Damnit Jim!

Post by Garrdor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:38 am

Just don't be retarded with what you eat. It's usually common sense; what's good to eat and what's good to not eat. At least it's like that for me. I know what's good for me - but I really don't care. At the rate that I get my exercise with the line of work that I do, I keep in decently good shape with the shitty diet I have. The conesequences of my lifestyle will come when my quality of life will start to go downhill anyways. Living that "American Dream" is short lived with all of the fucking poison people shoot down their throats.

You just have to find some time or maybe a whole lifestyle change that will add a balance of exercise/physical activity to your life. Force yourself to spend all of your grocery money on the produce section at your local supermarket.

I don't know...

EAT CELERY AND WATCH BODY BY JAKE.

Or even better - TONY LITTLE'S GAZELLE

Tony Little is one badass muthafucka IMO. He's like Wolverine from the X-Men mixed with Dog The Bounty Hunter mixed with one of the blonde guys from Nelson.

HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

:bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf:
:bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf:
:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:
:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:
SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT
SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT :idea:
SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT
SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT :albino:
SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT :bom:
SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT :o
SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT :drunken:
SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT
:?: SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT

Garrdor
Damnit Jim!

Post by Garrdor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:39 am

HOLY SHIT

Garrdor
Damnit Jim!

Post by Garrdor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:58 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HIS JAW IS SO FUCKING HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Embar Angylwrath
President: Rsak Fan Club

Post by Embar Angylwrath » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:58 am

Taxious wrote: I had some coaches in high school that exiled carbonated drinks for that very reason. One claimed that the deionized water in them was the most harmful part.
There's a reason why they were teaching Phys Ed, and not science. Any carbonated water, by definition, isn't deionized (it forms carbonic acid, which disassociates into hydrogen ions and hydrogen-carbonate anions.)

(And deionized water isn't harmful either)
Correction Mr. President, I DID build this, and please give Lurker a hug, we wouldn't want to damage his self-esteem.

Embar
Alarius

Finglefinn
Prince of teh Taberknuckle

Post by Finglefinn » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:18 pm

Tony Little, lantern jawed freak, yeeeessssss.
Finglefinn

Alluveal
vagina boob

Post by Alluveal » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:21 pm

That is definitely weird. I thought (for a long time) that carbonation depleted your oxygen. Regardless, I am gonna wager that putting water into your system is better than cramming a bunch of junk in there: additives, sweeteners, etc. I tend to feel better when I just have plain ole H2O.