Reliable anti-spyware

91.3% uncensored free-for-all (see, no false advertising here)
Jarochai Alabaster
The Original Crayola Cleric

Reliable anti-spyware

Post by Jarochai Alabaster » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:59 pm

I'm looking for a free, reliable way to keep the spyware away. Anti-virus wouldn't be too bad, either, but my dad keeps me up to date with Norton. Thanks in advance, guys. =)
"I find it elevating and exhilarating to discover that we live in a universe which permits the evolution of molecular machines as intricate and subtle as we."
-Carl Sagan

Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Re: Reliable anti-spyware

Post by Freecare Spiritwise » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:15 pm

My two favorite anti-malware apps are:

Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Select
VP: Rsak Fan Club

Post by Select » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:53 pm

Yeah, I use those two. Update them once a month and scan once a month. No problems.

Fobbon Lazyfoot
Grand Inspector Inquisitor Commander

Post by Fobbon Lazyfoot » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:47 pm

Use Ad-Aware 2007 and AVG.

Norton is shitty. I've fixed computers before that were destroyed by viruses that Norton didn't so much as flinch at.

Spybot is good but its too intrusive for my tastes.
I like posting.

Jarochai Alabaster

Post by Jarochai Alabaster » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:59 am

Ok, thanks guys.
"I find it elevating and exhilarating to discover that we live in a universe which permits the evolution of molecular machines as intricate and subtle as we."
-Carl Sagan

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:11 am

I haven't had any problems with Windows Defender.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Klast Brell
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Post by Klast Brell » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:29 am

QUIT CLICKING ON SHIT YOU SHOULDN'T!!!
Seriously people. If you see a banner add that says punch the monkey and win $1000 don't fucking click it. If a website requires you to install software you have never heard of just to see a video clip of a fat kid getting kicked in the nuts, don't install it. if you get email from a complete stranger don't open the attachments.
"A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not." - Ronald Reagan 1987

Jarochai Alabaster

Post by Jarochai Alabaster » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:04 pm

I haven't done any of the above, Klast. Well, I may have clicked on the "catch the monkey" shit once, by accident, but it would have been long enough ago that I should have begun experiencing problems long before now.

I'm not even sure if spyware is what was causing the problem. Basically, internet was running excruciatingly slow, failing to load pages more often than not, and on the occasions it did load something there were bits (Pics and such) that weren't loading. I ran the anti-spyware shit, found some cookie trackers or something, removed them, and still had all the same trouble. Shut the box down for the night, went to bed, and all seems to be working well since I got up today.

Maybe Cox was just being stupid...again.
-Carl Sagan

-=Xilanthanax=-
Grand Inspector Inquisitor Commander

Post by -=Xilanthanax=- » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:02 pm

Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and Nod 32 antivirus.

Oh, and working for an ISP, 90% of the time it's your fault as to why it was slow. Clean your cache and do a ping test to see if you get slow results, if you get slow ping, restart your router or modem and it'll prolly go away.
Make love? Fuck that, I'll make a slut cry. Fuck that, I'll make a slut cum nine times.

Hed PE - CBC (acoustic, live on Bubba The Love Sponge)
Hed PE - Let's Ride (live)
Skindred - Pressure (acoustic, live on Fuse)
Sevendust - Alpha (live)
Massive Attack - Teardrop (live)

Still playin eq, and waitin for Hellgate: London. 8)

Embar Angylwrath
President: Rsak Fan Club

Post by Embar Angylwrath » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:23 pm

I use Housecall. Its free, on-line and constantly updated. It checks for viruses, cookies and spyware. I've had to use HiJack This a couple of times for some really hard to remove shit, but not recently.
Correction Mr. President, I DID build this, and please give Lurker a hug, we wouldn't want to damage his self-esteem.

Embar
Alarius

Alarik Zekaiden
Hero without a Clue

Post by Alarik Zekaiden » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:40 am

I use AVG Anti-Virus, AVG Anti-Rootkit, and AVG Anti-Spyware, along with Spybot S&D when I feel I need it. Haven't had too many problems. I also use Firefox for browsing with Adblock installed so I don't see all the "click here to be a winner!" crap. Then again, I don't click on random bullshit anyway. :wink:

I have to agree with Fobbon on the Norton thing. I worked in a PC repair shop for a while, and saw nothing but problems where Norton was concerned. It uses a lot of system resources even when it isn't active. I'd drop it for something else, like AVG or Avast.
Baron Alarik Ze'Kaiden
Crusader of Tunare
Errant Knight of the Brell Serilis Server
-RETIRED-

Mordwin
Paladin of the Alliance
Suramar Server
-RETIRED-
(Occasionally known to play an Ogre Warrior named Thulghor on Project 1999).