99 Rooms

91.3% uncensored free-for-all (see, no false advertising here)
Select
VP: Rsak Fan Club

99 Rooms

Post by Select » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:47 pm

This isn't a game, so don't rush through the rooms trying to find stuff or get to the end. It's an art project. Linger in the rooms for secret stuff to happen, look for symbolism, and enjoy the environment. Sometimes you need to look for stuff to find a way into the next room.

Enjoy!
http://www.99rooms.com/

Fobbon Lazyfoot
Grand Inspector Inquisitor Commander

Re: 99 Rooms

Post by Fobbon Lazyfoot » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:44 pm

I got through two screens before the ADD kicked in and I started a qualitative analysis of my own body odor.
I like posting.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:07 pm

The rooms were very repetitive and the environment stale-industrial. It really felt more like a lame freshman project.

Select

Post by Select » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:47 pm

Haha no, freshmen can't do that. Seniors don't even do that :P

It's something different, so I enjoyed it. Fob is right, definitely not for the ADD.

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Post by Minute » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:53 pm

Art is stupid
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Jarochai Alabaster
The Original Crayola Cleric

Post by Jarochai Alabaster » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:36 am

Nah, art isn't stupid.

Of course, this "99 rooms" thing doesn't qualify as art.
"I find it elevating and exhilarating to discover that we live in a universe which permits the evolution of molecular machines as intricate and subtle as we."
-Carl Sagan

Minute
Sublime Prince of teh Royal Sekrut Strat

Post by Minute » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:12 am

Honestly I think art appreciation is a genetic thing. When I look at a picture or painting or scenery and I think Ok that's cool but then I never need to see it again. I have a friend who is a semi-accomplished painter. His stuff goes for like 5-10k per. He does pretty well at it. The thought of paying 5k for something to hang on my wall just blows my fucking mind. I seriously cannot wrap my head around why anyone would do it. Which is why I think it's a genetic thing. I mean I don't think that others who can somehow justify that are wrong, I just don't personally have it in me to get it.
Fallakin Kuvari wrote:Because laws that require voters to have an ID (Something they are required to have anyway) are bad.... :roll:

Select

Post by Select » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:56 am

Minute, maybe I can relate it this way... You said you have a huge DVD collection, right? Film, animation, and visual effects are all considered forms of art. If you see a movie and LOVE it and want to have it and watch it again and again, you are appreciating a form of art. And so, you're giving your money to that art.
Painting may just not be the medium that clicks with you, but some form is.
Now with paintings being so expensive, that's more of a one of a kind thing. People will pay a pretty penny for something unique. It's like if there was a good, rare film, I'm sure that it would sell for more than your typical DVD.

Embar Angylwrath
President: Rsak Fan Club

Post by Embar Angylwrath » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:28 pm

Minute wrote:Honestly I think art appreciation is a genetic thing. When I look at a picture or painting or scenery and I think Ok that's cool but then I never need to see it again. I have a friend who is a semi-accomplished painter. His stuff goes for like 5-10k per. He does pretty well at it. The thought of paying 5k for something to hang on my wall just blows my fucking mind. I seriously cannot wrap my head around why anyone would do it. Which is why I think it's a genetic thing. I mean I don't think that others who can somehow justify that are wrong, I just don't personally have it in me to get it.
I dunno Minute. I kinda felt the same way, until I actually started viewing artwork up close, the originals, not some lousy prints. I remember specifically what changed it for me. It was a Monet exhibit. I had seen prints, of course, but never the originals. The prints gave me a "whats the big deal" feeling. The originals almost brought tears to my eyes I was so moved.

Since that time, I've had a deeper apprreciation for art. Again, original works, not prints or copies.
Correction Mr. President, I DID build this, and please give Lurker a hug, we wouldn't want to damage his self-esteem.

Embar
Alarius

Select

Post by Select » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:36 pm

Wait a minute...
Didn't we already have this conversation with you, Minute?

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:26 pm

Freshman students certainly could, but you've have to hold their attention long enough to create 99 tedious rooms.

Select

Post by Select » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:16 pm

No, most freshmen here wouldn't know how to edit the video, animate it, integrate that animation into live action, apply sound, or make it react to a visitor on the web.
That's something they would start to learn their soph years and they would learn different things depending on their major.

Harlowe
Nubile nuptaphobics ftw

Post by Harlowe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:53 am

Apparently you are with a group of Freshman in the Special Ed dept.

Select

Post by Select » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:13 am

Apparently you haven't been to a school of digital media where they need to learn their foundations first. :lol: But thanks for playing.

Taxious
Rum Guzzler

Post by Taxious » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:44 am

Select, it takes about 20 minutes to read a flash tutorial and make a still into an animation with tiny little movement/sound/interaction effects. You could find a 5th grade class to make a site like that.

That being said, I did think it was a pretty cool idea.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Select

Post by Select » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:48 am

No, there's more to it than that. If you guys went to go to school for it then you'd see. Sure, it isn't too advanced. This is second year stuff, but students are coming here to learn that, they don't already know it. :roll:
But, prove me wrong. Do you have any prior experience in flash/animation/sound? No? Then go ahead, read your twenty minute tutorial and produce a room that could be a part of this.

Njorls
Perfect Mastah

Post by Njorls » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:59 am

They should have made it an even 100 rooms. Number 99 is reserved for (in order)

1) Sexy female agents in Get Smart
2) Wayne Gretzky
3) Luftballons

I made it to room 30 but it was pretty boring. Didn't buy the CD.

Select

Post by Select » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:07 am

It's cool as web project. I don't see the point of the CD. If they need to support it, they can throw some ads up there.

-=Xilanthanax=-

Post by -=Xilanthanax=- » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:36 am

Njorls wrote:They should have made it an even 100 rooms. Number 99 is reserved for (in order)

1) Sexy female agents in Get Smart
2) Wayne Gretzky
3) Luftballons

I made it to room 30 but it was pretty boring. Didn't buy the CD.
QFMFT.
Make love? Fuck that, I'll make a slut cry. Fuck that, I'll make a slut cum nine times.

Hed PE - CBC (acoustic, live on Bubba The Love Sponge)
Hed PE - Let's Ride (live)
Skindred - Pressure (acoustic, live on Fuse)
Sevendust - Alpha (live)
Massive Attack - Teardrop (live)

Still playin eq, and waitin for Hellgate: London. 8)

Fobbon Lazyfoot

Post by Fobbon Lazyfoot » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:03 pm

QFMFT
That's new. Quit fucking midgets for tapioca?
I like posting.